3.05.2011

Car Seat Canopies: Done!

I finally dug our infant car seat out of storage so I could make sure I made the canopies to fit.  My kids were very curious about this new car seat, especially my 2 year old since she was the last to be in it and can't remember.

I bought this beautiful fabric at The Village Quilt Shop in Gardener's Village.  They have the most wonderful selection of fabrics but are unfortunately way over my budget (at about $9/yard).  Luckily for me, they have a few clearance bolts and I was able to find all 4 coordinating fabrics for about $4.50/yard.  I bought the accessories (buttons and trims) at Joann's.

I made these so that they're reversible.  The side I have pictured is the main side and just in case it gets dirty and I want to flip it before I have time to wash it, I've sewed straps onto the opposite side.

I used a few different sites to guide me along but mostly eye-balled it.  It's pretty basic so it was nice to not use a pattern.  I used a big glass bowl to round the edges of my fabric so they'd all be even.  Every car seat is different so it's better to use your own as a guide for where to put the straps.

Here's what you need (for just one canopy):

2 1/2 yards coordinating fabric (1 1/4 of each print)
Accent Thread
Buttons, Ric Rac, and ruffle are optional

For Twin A




For Twin B



 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love them! They turned out perfect.

Ashley said...

those are so great. Did you follow a pattern or did you just make it up?

Keisha said...

great fabric selection! coordinating- yet different! Love it.

Mars said...

oooh!! love love love the fabrics you chose! they look awesome-every project you make looks so perfect and professioanl. I hope I can sew as good as you one day! so talented!