4.06.2009

project #1

t-shirt recycled into yoga pants

Rundown: Take an old t-shirt, cut, sew, embellish, et voila!



Here's How:

  1. Get a t-shirt and cut 2 pant legs. Cutting from the long edges or your shirt will allow you to keep the seem already sewn there and use it for the outside edges of the pant legs. Here is a horrible drawing to help you see where I cut from. Next time I'll remember to take pictures of the process.
  2. Turn the 2 legs inside out and sew each leg up the inside leg.
  3. With the legs still turned inside out, sew up the crotch. Its a good idea to go over the crotch twice to make sure it withstands the wear.

  4. There are 2 options for the waste, OPTION 1 - with pants turned inside out, fold the waste band down and hem, leaving about 1 and 1/2 inches open to slide elastic in. Then sew up opening after adding elastic. OPTION 2 - cut another strip of fabric long enough to go around entire waste and tall enough to fold down when wearing. Turn pants right-side out. Pin (I rarely pin but often pay for it) the waste band along the waste of the pants on the outside and stitch. I hope this makes sense. Leave a comment if you have questions. I used OPTION 2 and made it up as I went so don't be scared to get creative. There is no right or wrong here!!

  5. Embellish your pants however you like! I created my own appliques and used double-sided interfacing (glue on both sides) to stick them to the fabric using my hot iron. Then I hand-stitched with embroidery floss to secure the edges. Get creative with your stitches! There are lots to choose from!
Here are some pictures of the final product.






5 comments:

Laura Hall said...

What a great idea! I envy your talent and creativity. Those are so cute. Cant wait to see what is to come!

Laura Hall said...

I want you to decorate my blog for me. Will you? Pleeeeaase!!

Mars said...

SO CUTE!! I'm excited you made this blog. You're so creative :)

Alicia said...

So stinkin cute!

Lauren Clyde said...

That is what I call provident. such a neat idea and they look very cute ;o) My mom just bought me a sewing machine and I'm anxious to get it tuned so I can start some projects of my own! I just finished my first quilt. I'll post pictures of it soon so you can see it.