4.23.2009

tip #1

how to sew a perfect circle


I'm currently working on a project for my mom for mother's day. I don't think she reads this blog so hopefully I'm not spoiling anything--but just in case, I won't get to detailed on what the project is until it's complete. Anyway, for this project I needed to know how to sew a perfect circle. I'm not about to ruin it by trying to sew a circle just by following the circle I outlined on the fabric.

Thanks to my dear friend Google, I found perfect instructions on how to do this...and I don't have to buy any fancy gizmos! Just for clarification--I take no credit for this tip but I thank whoever came up with it!

Here's how:
  1. Find the radius of your circle (forgot your geometry? That's half the diameter)
  2. Get a thumbtack and some masking tape.
  3. Let's say my radius is 2 inches. I'm going to place my thumbtack 2 inches to the left of my needle and tape it down using the masking tape (just stick the thumbtack through the sticky side of the tape and tape the thumbtack to your machine).
  4. On your fabric, find the center of the circle and place it on the thumbtack.
  5. Now sew your circle! The fabric will rotate around the thumbtack, allowing you to sew a perfect circle. No guiding necessary!

No comments: